Friday, April 1, 2011

Fish Friday

As a Catholic, I observe a meatless Friday during Lent.  I usually go for a vegetable main dish, but today I was feeling fish.  The freezer offered three choices: mahi mahi, pollock, and shrimp pasta.  The mahi mahi is old (we bought it right when we got married... in 2007.  I should probably just throw it away, right?).  The shrimp pasta has a lot of fat (19 grams per serving.  I'm saving it for a lean day when I haven't had much to eat!).  So pollock was the winner!

Wild caught pollock is a really inexpensive fish. We paid $2.39/lb in 2010.  Yes, the fish had been in the freezer for a while. We googled pollock recipes and found tons of them!  We went with one from cooks.com. The fish doesn't look amazing, but it tasted great! It's the perfect recipe for a Friday in Lent!
Baked Pollock
Old Bay rub
1 1/2 lb. pollock
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup melted butter

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place fish fillets in greased baking dish.
3. Rub all sides of the fish with Old Bay.
4.  Mix together sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and butter.
5. Spread sour cream mixture on the tops of fish filets.
6. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Before eating the fish, Kyle and I shared a large plate of sweet potato fries.  Can you believe one pound of sweet potatoes made all of those fries? 
I can't let my lunch go unmentioned.  Two pieces of left over pizza, an apple, and a smoothie inspired by Emma.
It contained one orange, lots of frozen blueberries, apple juice, and strawberry yogurt.  It was good, but  I think next time I'll switch out the yogurt for ice.

Off to watch Life in the Fab Lane.  Yes, it's my new Netflix show.  Thank goodness it's only 15 episodes!

No comments:

Post a Comment