Sunday, October 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, James Eugene!

Did you know that one-year-olds sleep in until 8:30?  They do, or at least James did to kick off his birthday!  He played, went to church, napped, just like any other day, but after waking up from his nap, he went outside to find family and friends!  The look on his face was of pure shock, and I'm fairly sure he thought he was still dreaming.  It was truly a surprise party.  After the initial shock wore off, we played passed the baby toddler.
chillin' with the elder Bachmanns
playing 'so big' with his babysitter Annie


No dog party would be complete without a game of pin the tail on the doxie.  This game was a lot of fun as long as you drank an adult beverage before hand.
Almost, Aunt Jessica!
Go, Grandma, Go!

I hope I'm as cool as James's Great Grandpa when I'm older...
After the game, it was time to sing "Happy Birthday."  I felt so many emotions during this time- wonder, awe, excitement, but mostly I wished the moment could always last.  My son surrounded by friends and family, all eyes on him, the center of the world for that fleeting moment in time.  If life only had a 'pause' button, I would have spent hours on this.
 Of course it only lasted a few minutes before we turned to cake eating.  James started off skeptical.

However, his attitude quickly changed and the rest of the cake eating looked like this....
Chocolaty icing perfection.  Thanks to Mimi for photographing the cake domination!

This was undoubtedly the most sugar James has ever had.  He was a totally different kid when it came time to open presents.  For one thing, he was much more daring.  He let go over people's hands and stood on his own (normally he would be too scared and plop onto the ground).  Then, there was the climbing.  Holy monkeys, this boy was everywhere.  He couldn't sit still for .5 seconds.  The funniest thing he did was stand up in front of his reading chair and fall face down into it.
 It was funny, but I much prefer my subdued sweet boy to this wild child.

Thanks to everyone who made the trek to Columbia (or just over to our house).  We appreciated everyone who was there in spirit as well.  Thank you for helping us raise such a wonderful little boy!

I'll leave you with this... my favorite family portrait to date.
Happy 1st birthday, James Eugene!

No comments:

Post a Comment